Key to improving your listing on SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) are local keywords. You are a local business serving local business. If you are in Houston and get search traffic from New Hampshire it's not going to do you any good.
Let's take the San Francisco Bay Area
- The area North of San Francisco is referred to as The North Bay
- North Bay has the counties of Marin, Sonoma, Napa
- Napa County might be referred to as Napa Valley or Wine Country
- Within Napa County there are the towns of Calistoga, Napa, St. Helena, Yountville
- Within Wine Country you might include the Sonoma County towns of Sonoma and Healdsburg
Depending on your firms location and reach there are any number of search terms you might use if you're up in "The North Bay". You know your local vernacular much better than we every can.
Yes Napa County is in California, but California isn't a useful search term when you want local traffic - and San Francisco Bay Area probably isn't either and maybe not even North Bay.
- Make a list and think of concentric circles from your key business area outward.
- That list should be between 10-15 local terms listed in order of importance to your business
- Make sure we have that list so that we're optimizing your local search for these areas